Chemical Operator-1900162 We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens...
Chemical Operator (2nd Shift) – Livonia, Michigan - 1900162
An energetic, self-starter is being sought to join the Livonia operations team on 2nd Shift. The successful candidate will perform the tasks required to manufacture and package polyurethane specialties products in a safe, efficient and environmentally sound manner. The Livonia Resin Operator is responsible for the following:
· Following all safe work and operations policies and procedures while on duty at the site.
· Charging bulk and packaged chemicals, powders, and additives to resin blenders.
· Ability to read and understand batch-sheet and computer instructions.
· Continuous and effective communication with co-workers and shift supervisors.
· Driving fork trucks and moving pallets and totes of product throughout the plant.
· Operate plant equipment in a manner and condition to safely produce quality product.
· Maintain housekeeping and 5S practices at an excellent level.
· Give an accurate and relevant turnover to relief operator in both verbal and written formats.
· Perform equipment, safety and other required checks or inspections in an accurate, neat and timely manner (e.g. plant safety check lists, area inspections, respirator and mobile equipment inspections).
· Properly handle all waste (hazardous and non-hazardous) and associated paperwork according to regulations and BASF policies.
· Active participation in Livonia site safety and EHSQ programs including the sites Exposure Reduction Program.
· Using required Personal Protective Equipment, including a full-face cartridge respirator, when necessary.
40-hour work week plus overtime opportunities: 2nd Shift – Mon – Fri, 2:30 PM – 11:00 PM
Please Note: Training will take place on 1st Shift – Mon – Fri, 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Training will last for approximately 18 months. The successful candidate will not be placed on 2nd shift until approximately November 2020
The physical effort required to perform this position includes:
· Ability to lift 50 lbs. and/or push 150 lbs.
· Bending, stooping, climbing
· Lifting, pouring chemical material
· Standing, reaching while lifting pipes and hoses
· The ability to work at heights wearing fall protection equipment
· Ability to work with exposure to weather elements (e.g. heat, cold, rain, snow, etc.)
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
· High School diploma or GED
· Minimum 1 year of chemical related work experience
· Mechanically inclined and able to complete minor maintenance
· Competencies of accountability and ownership
· Ability to learn and perform a variety of tasks in support of plant operations including training and safety initiatives
· Coordination with people and teams within the site and beyond; good team player
· Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
· Effective time management and organizational skills to efficiently manage daily activities
· Accurately performs basic math
· Willingness and ability to adapt to change and cross train in all areas of the site as needed
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Organization: N-PMN/OS-Business Mgmt PU Systems-60002115
Internal Number: 547299
About BASF Corporation
At BASF, we create chemistry – and have been doing so for 150 years. Our portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. As the world’s leading chemical company, we combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.