Location: Ithaca, New York
Lead Custodian S08
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
The Cornell University campus is widely admired as one of the world's most beautiful academic settings. The Division of Facilities and Campus Services (FCS) is committed to providing the highest quality service to faculty, students, staff, alumni, and visitors. With more than 260 major buildings enhancing the magnificent landscape of the Ithaca campus, approximately 1,000 highly talented and dedicated staff serve as stewards of the campus resources and operations.
Facilities Management (FM) provides maintenance, grounds, and custodial services to the entire campus. FM serves as a partner within the zone structure for the Contract Colleges (CC), Endowed (EN), and Student and Campus Life (SCL) zones.
As a key steward of the University's facilities, FM is responsible for facility assessments, skilled trades, general construction, building care, grounds, recycling, asbestos, and the management of planned, corrective, and preventive maintenance.
The lead custodial position oversees approximately 50-60 campus-wide events per year by providing oversight and coordination of table, chair, flag, and podium set up campus wide. Provides group leadership of these event driven teams of approximately 25 custodial staff. Oversight responsibilities will increase during times of critical need. Also responsible for providing group leadership to a consistent team of custodial staff members assigned to perform comprehensive and routine custodial maintenance of assigned buildings (e.g., Barton Hall). Directly performs routine custodial maintenance in assigned buildings. Serves as the primary lead person for the complex emergency call-in process and is expected to respond to campus emergencies and custodial/event concerns after normal working hours, to include evenings and weekends. Regularly required to work overtime with special projects and events.
Areas of Responsibility Include:
- Oversight and coordination of table, chair, flag, and podium rentals with event set-ups at Barton Hall and campus wide, as well as the complete processing of billing, from start to completion, for all work requests as a result.
- Oversight of routine custodial maintenance and care of the buildings assigned, including furniture, rugs, and floor care.
- Will be responsible for ordering supplies and maintaining chemical and all equipment/table/chair inventories used for custodial work and event set-up within the complex and the greater University at large.
- Assists Custodial Manager with key inventory and key security.
- Assists with the evaluation, development, and training of each custodian in their assigned area (new employee training and ongoing training) and is responsible for the continuous informal inspection of their employees' work areas.
- Assists manager in resolving interpersonal conflicts and customer complaints.
- Assists with Quality Assurance Program to ensure level of cleanliness set by department and APPA standards.
- Responsible for staff compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Ensures adherence to proper chemical use, equipment safety, and PPE requirements.
This is a union position within the United Auto Worker's bargaining unit (UAW). The rate of pay is $23.52/hour. At the end of the probationary period, employees will be required to pay union dues per Article 1 of the Agreement.
Ours is a values-based organization where all employees are accountable for supporting the values of truth, respect, excellence, teamwork, and integrity, in addition to supporting the inclusive and sustainable practices in carrying out everyday responsibilities. FCS employees are required to attend staff development trainings and participate in the performance evaluation process as well.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- 3-5 years of significant custodial experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of significant leadership experience.
- At least 2 years' experience with chair/table/flag/podium delivery and set up of events of over 6,000 chairs in various configurations.
- An excellent work attendance history.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills and can assist the manager in conflict resolution.
- Ability to effectively interface and coordinate with the Director of Commencement and a myriad of campus coordinators for event set ups.
- Good math, reading, and writing skills, and proficiency in various computer software such as Maximo, Word, and Excel.
- Proficiency in the utilization of Maximo and processes of coordination to ensure accurate billing for all events and projects.
- This position has sole responsibility for billing and must work in concert with zone administrative staff to ensure work orders specific to the events group and special projects are mitigated and billed in a timely manner.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities, while maintaining a consistent positive and supportive attitude.
- Skills in assessing and scheduling appropriate work assignments, and the ability to effectively train employees in departmental custodial and event protocol, and the use of industrial power equipment for hard floor and carpet maintenance.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information to maintain and ensure the privacy of all Cornell customers' work, study, living, and research areas.
- Ability to comprehend and maintain a high level of security in all campus facilities maintained.
- Experience with supply and equipment inventory and the accounting thereof.
- Safety conscious and in good physical condition with the ability to climb and work from an 8' step ladder; able to work in a dusty environment using a variety of cleaning chemicals; able to lift and move 50 lbs.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license. Will be required to use a personal vehicle periodically on campus. Will be required to obtain and sustain DOT certification and demonstrate continued proficiency in driving campus vehicles with trailers in tow.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
University Job Title:
Lead Custodian S08
United Auto Workers
Pay Rate Type:
Refer to Union Pay Rates Link Below
Remote Option Availability:
Number of Openings:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.